Learn How To Write An Impressive Persuasive Essay With These Tips
A Persuasive essay is a literary piece that aims at convincing the reader of your specific belief on a certain paradigm or perspective through relative arguments & supporting theories. It’s a pivotal part of your academic coursework that requires you to demonstrate your scholarly abilities and intellectual knack.
Persuasive papers usually focus on controversial topics; subjects that have substantial depth for debate and argumentative analysis. The core aim is to make your reader agree with your perspective through compelling content and make them think seriously about the identified issues or act in a particular way based on your recommendations.
With a well-drafted persuasive essay, you are well positioned to draw your reader in through engaging content and win them over through a lucid & argumentative presentation of both sides of your chosen theory (favorable or opposing).
The Persuasive Essay Writing Process- Tips & Techniques
The persuasive writing style compared to a standard argumentative write-up is a bit more flexible and informal, allowing you to clearly impart your point of view on the topic and use strong supportive evidence to justify your stance and any limitations in the opposing view. The key to a brilliant persuasive paper is its analytical depth and interesting content crafted around an impressive theme. So, how to write a persuasive essay that will woo your readers? Take a look at these utile guidelines that will help you understand the writing process better.
The Pre-Write Part
Start by selecting an amazing theme. Your topic has to be diverse, though not too general, exciting and debatable so you have the ambit to conjure up ideas and present your opinions with efficacy. Go for an online search to dig up cool persuasive essay topics and ideas or hit a brainstorming session for a fabulous theme. It’s a good idea to jot down a slew of varied topics and then zero in on any one. Perhaps you want to write on:
- Euthanasia: Should it be allowed or not?
- Girls should enjoy equal representation on soccer & co-ed wrestling teams.
- Spam email loved more than regular emails. Why?
- Cats are better pets than turtles!
- Playing with a Barbie is a life-changing past-time!
Or choose any other subject from the wide array of exciting persuasive essay ideas you’ve listed down from your research making sure it’s a theme that encourages you to write about it.
The pre-write part usually consists of theme selection and researching for supporting evidence to augment your chosen stance on the topic. Once you’ve narrowed down a theme or an idea, use the following steps to refine your research and topic:
Choose a Stance: With a selected theme, the next step is to choose your particular stance on the subject, in favor or opposing, to convince the reader of your point of view. It must be very clear what you think about the topic and so should your reader.
Understand Your Audience: To present your arguments clearly, you need to understand your readers better so you write keeping them in mind. The more aware you are of your audience, the higher your chances of creating persuading arguments.
Conduct A Thorough Research: The essence of any good persuasive essay is powerful supporting evidence that has the mana to shift paradigms and make your reader believe your stance. Make sure you gather relevant, informative & insightful data from multiple sources that can be used as convincing evidence.
Highlight The Most Powerful Justification: To pen convincing content for your paper, it’s important to identify the most influential supporting evidence for both sides, your stance and the opposing view. Make sure you include all weak areas, constraints and key arguments for refutation of the other paradigm as well.
The Writing Part- Persuasive Essay Structure & Layout
A persuasive essay format follows the traditional layout of any other academic essay with an introduction, a body and conclusive section. The writing part starts by defining your essay’s structure to organize your formulated ideas and researched arguments in a coherent, read-worthy flow. If your instructor has provided you with a structure then include that into your outline or use the following template for readability & clarity.
Outline For Persuasive Essay
The standard outline for your essay should comprise of an interesting intro, a body with 5-6 paragraphs and a convincing conclusion.
- Use an exciting hook for your essay to grab the reader’s attention
- Provide a brief explanation & background information on your chosen topic
- Include a thesis statement that clearly depicts your highlighted stance
- This should be divided into 5-6 paragraphs
- Use compelling arguments to discuss a unique idea in each
- Make sure each paragraph has strong supporting evidence for a more poignant impact
Opposing Paradigm Section
- Include a paragraph to highlight constraints and loop holes in the opposing view
- Ensure that you add relevant justifications to strengthen your refutation
- This should include a persuading summary of your stance, perspective and key supporting evidence.
- It should also reinstate your belief and include captivating information to influence your reader
Writing Content For Your Persuasive Essay
When creating content for your persuasive essay, keep the following pointers in check.
The Introduction: The initiative part of your essay is the intro that defines the theme of the paper, your relevant stance on it and the core arguments that you’ll be highlighting in the paper to make the reader agree with you. If you’re wondering how to start a persuasive essay, then begin by drafting a great ‘hook’ or ‘catch’ for your audience. A hook is generally an insightful quote, an informative statistic, an interesting question or an unusual fact that will instantly grip your reader encouraging them to read on further.
The Thesis Statement: The thesis statement is a lucid description of your selected essay theme, with informative background details including a brief version of the supporting arguments that further strengthen your point of view. This could be through illustrations, expert opinions, real-life examples, statistical data or proven theories already available in existing literature.
The Body Of The Essay: The Persuasive essay body should essentially include multiple paragraphs, each reflecting a unique idea relative to your chosen topic or subject. Make sure you follow the writing style mentioned below to draft your paragraphs for the most impressive impact.
- Make use of proper supporting evidence to amp up your arguments. You could do this by adding relevant material gathered through research such as drawing comparisons, expert feedback, what-if situations, hypothesis depicting ‘suppose that’ scenarios etc.
- Make an effort to explain esoteric concepts through a limpid explanation and clearly highlight terms and concepts for better understanding and comprehension.
- Always keep your paragraphs short, comprising of 2-3 lines, with proper verbiage that strictly adheres to the formatting and grammar guidelines.
Conclusion: In your persuasive essay conclusion, make sure you add influential remarks and powerful arguments in a brief summarized version that restates your perspective, strongly highlights your chosen stance and suggests proper recommendations to the reader to compel them to take according action.
Reviewing the Persuasive Essay
- Read the content to see if it contains a firm stance on your highlighted issue and if there is ample background information for the reader to grasp the subject easily.
- Does the intro include a strong hook? Is the opening paragraph interesting enough to draw the audience in for a ‘read ahead’?
- Are the paragraphs well crafted? Have you included proper arguments and convincing justifications for each supporting idea?
- Have you clearly identified the limitations of the opposing view and added relevant arguments for a strong refutation.
- Does your conclusive section urge the reader
- to take some productive action on your suggested to-do parts or ponder over your highlighted paradigms?
Writing an excellent persuasive essay is not an uphill task. All you need to do is follow the guidelines in this article and begin concocting an impressive piece right away.