Students are required to compose essays at every level of their academia. They often struggle to compose perfect persuasive essays. But don’t worry, we can help you craft better essays with these persuasive writing ideas, tips and format.
What is a persuasive essay?
A persuasive essay is also popularly known as argumentative essays. It is a genre of essay writing where the writer uses logic and information to support their claims to convince the reader to agree with their stance. A good persuasive piece uses facts and other literary evidence to support their claims.
The persuasive subjects are not difficult to identify. You can easily recognize argumentative and persuasive terms and phrases if they are followed by interrogative statements. These essays are call to action articles which require the reader to take a stance.
How to write a persuasive essay?
Still confused about writing persuasive essays? Learn how to write a persuasive essay by organizing your thoughts and information in a formal structure first. One you have chosen a topic from an array of convincing topics, you then choose your position regarding the topic in question.
The approach towards your subject is highly dependent on the research available done to back your arguments for /against the subject. You need to review a number of credible sources to help you write your essay.
Once it is done, the next step is to narrow down the evidence to match it to your essay topic in order to avoid generalized claim. The last step in preparing a persuasive essay is to draft an outline to formally organize all the ideas, information and arguments.
Here’s an outline to help you with your persuasive essay
Define your topic, provides background and define your approach towards your topic. It also incorporates the thesis statement of your essay.
Supporting paragraph 1
Presents the evidence to support your thesis statement.
Supporting paragraph 2
Presents more evidence to develop and support your argument.
Showing the other side of the argument to the reader.
Provide a synthesis of your claims.
Types of persuasive essay
There are only three types of persuasive essays;
- Logos: The appeal to reason/
- Pathos: The appeal to emotion/
- Ethos: The appeal to character/
Persuasive topics for students
Writing a persuasive essay is a challenging task, we have compiled some ideas for persuasive essays. Here are some of the interesting persuasive essay topics to help students with their persuasive writing and develop critical and analytical skills.
Persuasive essay topics for middle school
- Are schools doing enough to stop bullying?
- Do American have a healthy diet?
- Does pop culture have any value?
- The role of music in our world
- Is punishing right in school?
Persuasive speech topics for high school
- How is v encouraging stereotypes?
- Should we be real on social media?
- Why should the rich pay more taxes?
- Are men and women equal in rights?
- Advantages and disadvantages of death penalty.
Persuasive essay for college students
- Does advertising mess with our minds
- Should media be regulated?
- How can trade deficit effect the economy of a country?
- Should we try and influence our unborn child’s genetics.
- What is the potential of electroconvulsive treatment