A college application essay is the most important part of a student’s academic era. This is the stepping stone for the students and a crucial step in acquiring academic and professional success.
But don’t worry, with planning and following some tips, you can actually excel at writing a great essay that will help you get that college admission.
Without further adieu, let’s move to those steps.
1. Organize and Start Early: Writing a college essay needs a lot of work and you need to figure out what exactly you will need to do. Many colleges are on College App now and finding the requirements is easy.
But if you are aiming for an institute that is not on the app then you need to start early and find out their application requirements. Start early to stay ahead and to complete everything before time.
2. Brainstorm the Essay Topics: Selecting the right topic is as important as writing the entire essay. To find a good topic, you can do several things like analyzing the essay prompts given by the college, evaluating the life and personal experiences and finding our which are significant and your personality traits that could highlight your passion for the course.
Write down all the topics and consider them separately.
3. Figure out your Essay Prompt: From the topics that you have gathered, narrow down the list and gather the topics that would make the strongest topic for your college essay. However, when choosing the topic, consider the following things:
- Is the topic significant for you?
- Does it tell a story about you?
- Is it targeted and specific?
- Does it have scope for detailed explanation?
- Can it be related to the main essay prompt?
Your chosen topic should answer all of these questions.
4. Choose your Focal Point: Once you have decided the topic, the next thing to do is to choose the focal point and the way you are going to write and present your essay. How will you do it? Will you tell a personal story? Will you talk about a person? Will you share an experience that shaped your decision? Decide the ‘How’ of your essay.
5. Prepare the 1st Draft: After you have decided the essay topic and the way you will discuss it, it is time to start the writing process. Write the first draft and don’t worry about the mistakes now. Right now, your aim is to put all your thoughts on paper and form a basic structure for your essay.
6. Edit and Revise It Properly: After writing the first draft, go through it again and see if you have added and explained all the ideas properly. Is it engaging for the reader? Is it presenting the main point clearly? Does it answer the question properly? Have you missed anything? Check everything and fine tune it accordingly.
7. Proofread and Double Check: Proofreading is an important step in writing. Many students think that just because they have edited their essay, they do not need to proofread or double check it.
Check it with Grammarly and Turnitin to make sure that it has zero plagiarism and grammatical errors.
8. Remember the Deadline: Don’t get carried away with the process of essay writing. Remember the deadline and make sure that you complete and wind up everything before the given deadline.
For this, many students turn to ‘write essay for me’ service providing companies. They help them in understanding the task better and help them in submitting work on time also.