Editing and proofreading is an important part of the writing process and no writing project is complete ad fit to submit without it. Still, many students ignore this important step before submitting their work and ending up with various mistakes and deduction in score.
To save effort and time and with their ‘write my essay’ request, many students turn to professional writing companies. These companies often offer editing and proofreading services also.
However, if you want to strengthen your editing skills and want to do the work yourself then following are the 5 important and helpful tips to get you going.
1. Read it Out Loud: This may sound strange but this works really work. Writing something and reading it are entirely different things. When writing, many things that otherwise do not make sense also seem fit to be added into the document.
Therefore, it is important to read it out loud and see if everything is making sense. Besides, it will also help you find errors related to typography, punctuation and clarity.
2. Don’t be Arrogant: We know that you have spent hours on writing and compiling your essay, or any other writing assignment but, now it is time that you perfect it. Read it as if it is someone else’s work and you are reading it for the first time.
See if it is easy to read and if the message that you are trying to convey is clear and easy to understand. In case there is something vagues, this is the time that you can work on it.
3. Read it Like Your Audience: When doing the editing and proofreading part, read it like you are the audience. Can you read and understand the language easily? Is the message and the arguments clear and formed in a suitable manner? Is the language fit to be used in an academic paper? Is it engaging for you? If any of the things is not clear and up to the mark, you can rectify it here.
4. Check the Consistency: Consistency is the key to a great writeup. When reading the essay, see how does the whole content reads. Are all the ideas presented in a coherent and consistent manner? Can you understand everything clearly?
If there is anything missing or some ideas sound vagues, then revise it and make the point more clear.
5. Check the References: Your paper or essay much have correct and proper references. Double check them to make sure that all the citations are added properly and nothing is missing from the references and bibliography list.
Editing and proofreading your essay is essential if you do not want to lose your score on trivial mistakes. Make sure that you do it thoroughly or, if have less time, consult an essay writing service for it.